November 16, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

Dear Carter,

Sometimes it's funny how you can watch a movie one million times, but it only takes one time for it to stay with you forever. Does that make any sense? Let me give you an example. I've seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes many, many, many times over my lifetime. Pretty much any time that I see it's on TV, I'll watch it. I think it's a great movie, but not for any specific reason. Well, yesterday it happened to be on TV, so I of course started watching. After a few minutes Mrs. Threadgood began telling her new friend about her son. I hadn't even remembered this part of the movie, and when it was over it left me in tears. Here is the transcript:

I didn't know you had a child.

Yes, I did. Albert. When he was born, the doctor said it would be best if I didn't see him. He said his mind wouldn't develop past the age of five, and I should put him in an institution. Because the burden of raisin' a child like that would be too great.

Well, I thought about Ruth. She always said....there was a separate god for children. So I smiled at him and I asked for the baby. Why, from the minute he was born, Albert was the joy of my life. The Lord's greatest gift. I don't believe there was a purer soul on this earth. I had him with me til' he was 30. Then he went to sleep and he didn't wake up. Sometimes I can't wait to get to Heaven to see him again.

I believe this was just like you Carter. You were the greatest gift, and there wasn't a purer soul on this Earth. Once again, I feel lucky.

2 comments:

I Just Love You said...

i remember this part of the movie. i can't say i've ever seen the whole thing start to finish but i caught it a little big ago on tv and saw that part. how very true it is. it makes you wonder how that came to be written in to the movie...

Layton Family said...

Thanks for sharing, it made me cry also!!!