May 26, 2010

Along For The Ride

What a day!

When we arrived at the PICU, the Attending doctor came to have the Do Not Resuscitate talk with us. After talking to the ENT, she had changed her stance on Carter needing more time. His trachea has collapsed so much that there is no way that he wouldn't need a trach with a vent. The Attending had decided against the chest CT yesterday because she felt it was unecessary, but went ahead with it today.

In the afternoon we called Carter's Pulmonologist doctor and talked through it with her. Unfortunately, she felt the same way except she thought that with time he may be able to come off of the vent.

We continued to struggle through the decisions we had to make. Should we trach and vent him, or should we just let him go. I hate that we are in this position...I just don't feel like we should have to be the ones to decide the day that our baby grows his wings.

At six o'clock the ENT finally came to talk to us, but first he took a look at the CT results.

What he found gave us even more hope.

Carter's heart and blood vessels have shifted to the right which is causing his trachea to collapse.

The ENT told us that there is a possibility that a surgery may correct it, but he would have to pass the case to the Cardio-Thoracic surgeons. We will probably hear back from them tomorrow or Friday. He said that he didn't want to give us false hope, but that he knows that they do surgeries like this a lot. Whether they can fix Carter's shifting or not would be up to the heart docs.

The surgery would be extremely risky as it is basically an open-heart surgery, but it's better than the alternative in my mind. Especially since the shifting will most likely only continue to make his airway worse.

We have renewed hope, and I feel as though we have some direction as to which path god wants us to follow.

Thank you again for all of your prayers and support. Honestly, they are what have been helping to keep us going the last few days. Please continue to pray for Carter and that the doctors find the wisdom to be able to do a surgery to save our baby.

22 comments:

Phyllis said...

oh Heather I am tears! So hopeful that this is the answer. In my heart I just believe that Carter has alot more to do here. Praying for you all and wishing I could give you real hugs. Hoping your husband and Mikey and Jovie are holding up okay.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Oh my gosh, I sure hope that the cardio-thoracic surgeons can do this! It definately sounds risky but perhaps better than the other options.

You guys are constantly in my thoughts.

Shannon and Steve said...

Oh, Heather! I am so sorry you have to go through this! We're praying for you guys, especially Carter. Stay strong, God is a God of miracles!

Jenn said...

Praying, praying, praying and lifting you guys up! Asking for divine wisdom for you and the doctors.

Skye is the Limit! said...

I will be praying!! I am glad you got somewhat or a "good news" there atleast!!

Hope said...

Praying, praying, praying!!

Angela said...

PRAYING for that beautiful, wonderful, precious gift of life-- for miracles that have yet to be seen- God bless baby Carter. HUGE HUGS to you. xoxoxo

Sandi said...

Heather, I put Carter on our church prayer list tonight. We have some prayer warriors there, and I know they will pray.
I'm praying the doctors decide to give Carter a fighting chance. NOTHING is impossible with God.

Amy said...

Praying so hard ...

Yoli said...

I will continue to pray for Carter.

Kristin said...

More prayers from us too :)

Colleen said...

I've been praying for sweet Carter all day. I will pray that God will give the doctors wisdom.

Anderson Family said...

Hoping that more answers come tomorrow with a visit with the heart doctors. We are still praying for your miracle - and praying that you will not have to decide when your baby will grow his angel wings. Hugs!

Janet B said...

I've been praying for sweet little Carter, and for you Heather.

Lacey said...

Yeah to the Ent for looking for other alternatives! I talked to Dr. P tonight and we talked about her naughty children! I'm going to come up this weekend when daddy can stay with Jax. Praying the CT doctors can fix this problem! What would the surgery entail?

The VW's said...

Praying this surgery is the answer and that it all works out great! May God give you peace, hope and strength as you go through this questionable time! Love and Hugs!!!

Amber said...

Praying Momma!
*and bugging Jenn for updates!*
Kiss sweet Carter...for the Baker Bunch.

Brayden'smom said...

Praying that surgery is the answer. May god continue to hold your hand in this time of need. He will help you to find the right direction. Praying for your entire family.

Michelle said...

Heavenly Father, lift up this family and little Carter. Give the doctors wisdom and give his parents grace and direction. Most of all, place your all encompassing arms around them, giving them peace beyong all understanding, In Your Name...

Michelle Smith said...

My thoughts and ptayers ahve been with your family. I know you don't know me, I have been following your blog for a while, I don't even have a child with DS or heart defects. I am just amazed at what so many families go through! You have such a beautiful family!

LC said...

sending love & prayers from my family to yours

Sherry C said...

I'm praying for him non stop. I'm sure he is going to make it he is such a fighter and has come so far. I'm so sorry to read how hard this has been. I hope the surgery is the answer. Big hugs!!!