March 28, 2011

Birthday Weekend Day 1

Dear Carter, I'm sitting down tonight, on your birthday, and recapping the whole weekend because I don't want to forget a single moment of it. So, look forward to a new post for the next few days to get you caught up. I'm just going to schedule them out. As you know, we had been planning on doing the Operation Smile 5k and 1 mile walk in honor of you. We woke up early on Saturday morning, and made the trip down there. Let me tell you it was COLD!!!! I mean, BITTER COLD! BUT, as you can see from the picture, we had quite the turnout for you! I was amazed by how many people showed up even with all of that snow on the ground. (I also need to state that there are a few very important people missing from this picture... we caught them in other pictures). AND there were several people who ran this 5K from afar. Thank you to everyone who participated! Mikey and Jovie were all bundled up, and a bit less than thrilled with the elements. They were troopers though, and pulled through it....even after Jovie spilled her hot chocolate all down her pants (thanks to the group who helped her clean up from that fiasco!) You cousins made some signs to cheer on the runners. Aren't they perfect?!
The runner's course was pretty treacherous. There were some parts that were completely covered in ice. I know that some of our friends and family left with some scrapes and bruises...but as Daddy says.."nothing in Carter's life was easy, so why should this be?". Check out our railroad family. This is a handsome bunch!
Yeah, it really was cold!!
I have a lot more pictures coming, but this is all I've got for right now. After the walk/run was over, the sun started to shine a bit and helped to warm us up. I was extremely nervous because I got asked to tell your story in front of all of the runners/walkers. I haven't done any kind of public speaking since college, so it was WAY out of my element. Daddy and I went up there, and I did my best. To be honest, my mind went blank and I don't really remember what I said, but nonetheless I did it! We had quite a few people come up to us afterward and ask questions about you and Team Carter, so I think it was well worth it!


After the race, we stopped for a quick bite at In and Out Burger (we thought it was the right thing to do since they donated to the race), and then got ready for a Mass said in your name at our church.


The mass was beautiful, but it was hard too. They started off the service with Amazing Grace which was played at your funeral. The whole thing was just emotional, but it was also calming at the same time. I feel like it gave me strength to get through Sunday.

No comments: