January 2, 2013

My Fortune

Dear Carter,
The new year is under way now, and I can't help but think that the fortune I got in my cookie yesterday was no accident.

It's true that life has a lot of fine things that I used to overlook, and of course maybe there have been times when I have taken my friends for granted. I'd like to think that you changed that for me though.

Through your life, and especially through your death, I have really learned to appreciate the small gifts that God has blessed me with. I have also learned who my true friends are, and it's sad to me that it took losing you to really learn those lessons. Almost everything I do any more is about "making memories". After all, when this is all over, that's all I will have left. Of course I still get tied up in the trivial things, but I am certainly trying to do better with always concentrating on what's really important.

Like I said before, it's all about being better.

No comments: