April 22, 2009

To Be Held

It was another great day for Carter. He's been doing so well on the CPAP that they are going to try and move him to a high flow oxygen mask in the morning. His weight stayed the same (at about 5 lbs), and he seems to be tolerating the higher calorie addition to his milk. When I went in tonight the nurse handed him to me and told me to hold him while she changed his bedding. It was such a relief to have my tiny baby in my arms again and I hope that Michael will get the chance to hold him tomorrow. It's weird that I thought he was looking so big in his bed, but when I held him I could tell how tiny he really is. The nurse told me that she is going to start dressing him in a sleeper tonight to keep him warm, and she took his bed scale out because the bed scales are only for "really sick babies". Our little guy is growing up. He has developed a cough which they think is just irritation from the ventilator, but they are testing him for a respiratory virus just to be safe. We should have the results tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

O h my goodness he is doing so good. Isn't it amazing that feeling you have when you get to hold the little guys. And to think how big there getting, and the "big boy" things there doing but there still so small. Best of luck with more good news to came. Still praying for all of you.

pinkebody said...

It must be such a joy to be able to hold & snuggle him. I'm so glad to hear that he is continuing to improve. I will keep your family in my prayers.