September 23, 2011

The Day Rudolph Attacked

Dear Carter,

I went to another DoTerra Party tonight...I really am liking the essential oils and wish that they were around while you were here because I believe they could have made you a bit more comfortable, but that's a whole other post.

Anyway, toward the end of the party, I got a phone call from your Daddy. He normally texts me when I'm at something like this, so I knew that something must be wrong. I slipped out and answered my phone. Here's how the conversation went...

Daddy: "where are the tweezers?"

I immediately go through all of the possible reasons why he might need tweezers, but I would have NEVER guessed it.

Me: "on the right side drawer of the bathroom vanity (immediately follows the big question)...why?!"

Daddy: "Mikey has a tiny bell stuck in his ear"

Me: "What?!" believing that I had to have heard him wrong

Daddy: "Mikey has Rudolph's bell in his ear...I think he might have to go to the emergency room"

Me: "I'm on my way"

Grandma and I left right away (we were only about a mile away), all the while wondering if DoTerra actually sells an oil for "ringing in the ears". When we were about halfway home, Daddy called me back to say that he got the bell out.

So, here's the story.

Mikey was in your room watching TV when he noticed that a tiny bell (really, it was SO tiny) had fallen off of a Rudolph decoration that we had for your tree. He took it into the living room to show Daddy, and Daddy told him to put it on the counter. Well, I'm not exactly sure what happened here, but Mikey's story goes that he was just "trying" to listen to the bell, and he dropped it in his ear at which point he panicked and tried for the next ten minutes to get it out (while probably making it even worse) until he finally resigned and asked Daddy for help.

It was shoved in so far that Daddy could only see the very tip of it where the string had been holding it to Rudolph.

Daddy got it out using a dental pick (did you just cringe, because I did). Crisis averted. No trip to the Emergency Room needed.

But your poor, poor brother. When he got on the phone with me to tell me he was OK, he just burst into tears. THEN he greeted me with a big hug and a much needed cuddle. Daddy saved the day, but Mommy got to reap the benefits.

And it's possible that after this entire traumatic experience, he's sleeping peacefully next to me right now.

And I don't mind one bit.

Never, EVER a dull moment.

No comments: