May 2, 2011

Quit Being So Dang Ugly!

Dear Carter,
Lately it seems as though I keep finding ugly people everywhere I go.

They are everywhere!! At the grocery store, on the soccer fields, at the veterinarian, in the school parking lot. I can't escape the ugly people. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly.

Ok, so maybe they aren't so much ugly people, as they are beautiful people who are acting ugly.


Today while I was picking your brother up from school, there was a young man trying to get through the parking lot. He had accidentally started going the wrong way. I'm assuming it was his first time in our school parking lot which doesn't have the most clear arrows on which way to go. No big deal...we all make mistakes. It took a few extra minutes for people to get around him while he tried to maneuver his way in the right direction.

A mom, who was trying to get by, rolled down her window and screamed at this young man "Hey! You're going the wrong way!" which wasn't too terrible except for the tone in her voice

and then she ended her phrase with "You Freakin' Retard!"

It was ugly.

She was ugly.

I couldn't believe that she would show so much ugliness in front of the children leaving school.

I felt the anger inside me boil which resulted in me giving her a hard stare and yelling "Hey" as in "Enough!". She stared back at me, and then drove off.

This is when I recognized her car. She is a parent to a special needs boy in one of your sibling's classes.

I want to believe that maybe she was having a hard day, and this was just the final straw. That maybe her anger was misplaced onto the young man, but I don't know.

I have to admit that I've been ugly a time...or two, or three, or four. We all have.


But now I'm left wondering

What would happen if we all tried to be a little less ugly?

What would happen if we tried to be a little more patient?

We all need to quit being so dang ugly!!


You weren't ugly for a moment in your life. This is something that I am thankful for to our God. That you got to live a perfect life here on Earth, and in Heaven. You were never ugly.
You will never be ugly.

How amazing is that?

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I'm so thankful for little angels like Carter who came to earth to show us what it's like to be truly beautiful. I can't believe people can be so rude sometimes!

Rhonda Imlay said...

Very well said Heather! You are such an inspiration to so many people, Carter is so lucky to have a mommy like you!!! =)

Michelle said...

so very true, I would like to think I was a fairly even keeled person, but know I had moments of impatience and intolerance...it's amazing how are children change us or me, rather. how I've changed.

Phyllis said...

Aww, I'm ignoring the ugly lady and enjoying Carters adorable little face in what appears to be a kitchen sink! lol so cute!

Tiffany said...

That is just so sad. And yes, we all should try to be a little less ugly - great thought. Thanks for sharing your heart.
Be Blessed.
~Tiffany